About the Ross Volunteers
The oldest honor guard and drill team of its kind in Texas, the RVs were formed in 1887 and originally named the Scott Volunteers. In 1898, the unit was renamed in honor of Lawrence Sullivan Ross, former governor of Texas and President of the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas. RVs serve as the official Honor Guard of the Governor of Texas and is composed of junior and senior cadets. The cadets wear a very distinctive white uniform with yellow trim, while officers wear a silk red sash around the waist of their uniforms. They perform 3-volley, 21-gun salutes at Texas A&M’s Silver Taps ceremonies and its annual Muster ceremony. The RVs also march in several parades each year and serve as the Honor Guard of King Rex, the King of Mardi Gras, in New Orleans. They are distinguished by the yellow and white cords they wear on their uniform.